Much more than a tablet press
The Gamlen Tablet Press is much more than a tablet press. It’s a strategic analysis instrument which removes the guess work from preformulation studies. We call it Tableting by Design.
Computer controlled for detailed analysis
The revolutionary Gamlen Tablet Press provides precise data using tiny amounts of material. It’s ideal for research and development and small laboratory production runs.
Quick and easy to operate
A major breakthrough in pharmaceutics teaching and research
Using the GTP, the student can quickly see the difference in the compressibility and lubrication properties of different excipients, processes and formulations. This makes it ideal for both teaching and research. Features and benefits include:
- The only instrumented laboratory tablet press suitable for student use
- Simple to use with unique measurement capabilities
- Measures all key parameters of the tablet compaction process
- Suitable for undergraduate use and postgraduate research
- New technology means that most data generated is suitable for publication
- Integrated system for the study of tablets – used for tablet compaction AND tablet fracture
Study proves Gamlen Tablet Press can simulate conditions
on Fette 2090 rotary press
Comparison of 100mg of two particular formulations (obtained from a major pharma company) compacted on the GTP-1 showed matching results when compared with production data obtained on a high speed rotary press (Fette 2090). Analysis of tablet tensile strength to compaction pressure and solid fraction demonstrated that the results obtained on the GTP-1 can be reproduced for different sizes and shapes of tablets produced on a rotary press.
Read full article: Study results produced on Gamlen Tablet Press are scalable to high speed Fette production press
Helping you create better tablets
To create new and better tablets you need to study and understand the relationship between drug properties, formulation and manufacturing process under properly controlled laboratory conditions.
Until recently small scale tablet manufacture using ‘controlled compaction force’ had not been possible because of technical limitations based on thickness control and large scale production. This made it difficult to make tablets or evaluate materials under tightly controlled conditions.
Revolutionary Gamlen Tablet Press and powder compaction analyser
Dr Michael Gamlen invented the revolutionary Gamlen Tablet Press to solve this problem. The GTP allows you to make tablets on a small scale, using controlled compaction force and at very low wastage rates, normally less than 1%. This force determines both the physical strength and the dissolution behaviour of the tablet. These are the key properties which ensure the tablet reaches the patient and delivers the drug.
The GTP works by monitoring the force in real time using a PLC. Punch force and punch position are displayed on a computer which is also used to input the compaction conditions. Using the GTP you can make tablets of extraordinary reproducibility and consistency, within 1-2% force variation. Batch yields are >99%.
For the measurement of tablet breaking load, the press records both force and displacement during compression and fracture, and also provides the ejection force profile associated with tablet ejection.
Much more than a tablet press
The GTP is much more than a tablet press. It’s a strategic analysis instrument which provides precisely the data necessary to make informed decisions.
In the scale-up of tablet production, the GTP can be used to determine the relationship between tablets developed at the benchtop scale using a few grams of material (often at early development stage) and the final tablet manufactured on a rotary tablet press. The latter uses hundreds of kilograms of material, making process development difficult because of practical difficulties in experimentation; smaller and differently-shaped tablets can, however, be scaled to the final desired tablet design if TFS is utilised as the basis for comparison.
If you want new and better tablet products and processes, then you need the Gamlen Tablet Press.
Gamlen Tablet Press GTP-1 overview
Unique benefits include:
- Complete control of compaction process using compression force or tablet thickness with live display of punch position and compaction force
- Quick and easy to use with tiny amounts of material
- Precise measurement of tablet detachment force which is ideal for lubricant selection and optimisation studies
- Generates punch displacement measurements to assist with analysis of the compaction process, and the measurement of the three key compaction properties – tabletability, compressibility and compactibility
- Can be programmed to perform repeated compaction and pre-compaction to simulate conditions on Fette 2090 rotary press
- Demonstrated to accurately simulated production press compaction behaviour for several material types
- Operating range 0-5kN, 1-60mm/minute. Punch sizes 2-15mm
- Improves tablet manufacturing process
- Very low wastage rates, normally less than 1%
- Being able to check product quality prior to putting batches onto production presses
- Cheaper than compaction force simulator
- Can be used in controlled humidity environment
- Saves time, money and materials
Using the Gamlen Tablet Press you’ll be able to:
- Quickly compare formulations
- Produce multi-layer and dry coated tablets
- Test small quantities of material down to 10mg
- Study lubrication behaviour
- Manufacture preclinical and phase 1 product
- Ideal for investigating tableting problems
- Manufacture of test product batches
- Pre-formulation studies
- Formulation comparisons
- Salt selection studies
- Intrinsic dissolution studies
- Excipient compatibility samples
- Manufacture of phase one clinical trials material
Quick and easy to operate
The Gamlen Tablet Press offers a quick route to the manufacture of small batches of tablets under tightly controlled conditions.
Sample powders (we recommend using the Powder Pipette – accuracy ±2% or better for most materials).
- Manufacturing rate approximately 1 tablet per minute.
- The product can be manufactured under completely controlled compaction conditions including compaction rate and compaction force (all tablets) and temperature and humidity (when used with glove box).
- Doses as low as 10mg, lower in some cases.
- Product yield essentially 100% – NO LOSS of valuable or scarce products.
- Fracture measurement- the press can change mode to hardness tester to measure tablet tensile strength
|Choice of 4 output units||Kilogram (kg) as standard; Kilopond (kp), Newton (N) or Pound (lb) on request|
|Maximum load||500 kg, 500 kp, 5000 N or 999.9 lb respectively|
|Load resolution||0.1 kg, 0.1 kp, 1 Newton or 0.1 lb respectively|
|Minimum detectable fracture load||3 kg (adjustable)|
|Width between pillars||60 mm|
|Load Cell travel||30 mm|
|Test Height||Depends on pillar extension lengthMaximum extension of 300 mm|
|Load indication||Via PC software|
|Inputs & Outputs||USB interfaceLoad cell|
|Test Speed Range||0.1 – 60 mm/min.|
|High down and return speed||60 mm/min|
|Calibration||Dead weights in kg or proving ring.|
|Power requirements||110/120 VAC 1.6 A or220/240 VAC 3.15 A(External selection via fuse holder)|
|Machine dimensions||310(w) x 270(d) x 375(h)|
|Machine weight (without accessories)||16 kg|
|Shipping size||390 x 350 x 390 or 460 x 430 x 480|
|Shipping weight approx||20 kg|
We recommend using the GamPette to dispense accurate quantities (better than 2%) of powder into the die reproducibly.
The GamPette is a hand held powder pipette that accurately dispenses solids, comprising a dispensing handle and a controller unit. Tip sizes are available to accommodate a wide range of powder volumes. Powder is drawn into the pipette tip in the handle under vacuum and then expelled under light positive pressure.